Monday, August 15, 2011

Macaroni with Cheese Sauce

I love that old stand by Mac and Cheese.  It is one of those cheap and tasty comfort foods from when I was a kid.  Making it with food storage is not quite as simple, and at the same time easier than I imagined.  I struggled with this for quite a while, but have finally figured it out.  Here is the pure food storage recipe ...  just cheese blend and pasta.



MACARONI AND CHEESE
Equals one box of Mac and Cheese

1 1/2 c. Pasta
2 1/2 c. Water

6 Tbs Cheese Blend Powder
1/2 c. Water
1/8 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper

Cook the pasta in the water.  If you use a lid on your pot, there will be plenty of water left over.  Drain, reserving water.

Blend the Cheese Powder into 1/2 c. water and mix into pasta.  Add more water to the desired texture.

The trick, is to mix it well BEFORE you add it to the pasta.  After the pasta is in the mix, any lumps are there to stay.




MAC AND CHEESE BOX
Making a box mix food storage style

1 box Mac and Cheese
2 Tbs Dry Milk
3 Tbs Dry butter
1/8 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper
2 1/2 c. Water

Cook pasta in water.  If you use a lid, there will be plenty to cook and plenty left over.

Mix contents of cheese packet with dry milk and dry butter.

Drain pasta, reserving water.  Mix cheese mixture into pasta adding 1/4 c. water.  Add more water to desired texture.



Dry Dairy 101
I don't know how many botched batches of mac and cheese I threw away before I realized the difference between the packet powders and what I have in the #10 can.  To help prevent ya'll from having the same problem in this and other recipes, here is what I learned:

Cheese Blend: A blend of cheees and dairy products like milk or whey.  This is what comes in most #10 cans for food storage.  This is why you can get away without adding any milk or butter into this recipe.

Cheese Powder: The orange stuff in the mac and cheese packet.  No additional dairy products, which is why you need to add milk and butter to the box mix.


On the Left is CHEESE BLEND from a can.  On the Right is a CHEESE PACKET with the added MILK and BUTTER.


2 comments:

  1. mac n cheese is the best!! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting on my blog and showing me your recipe/results. I will definitely do a post and link back to this post!!!

    ReplyDelete