Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gravy Mix

I was inspired to do this when I noticed that many recipe's call for a basic roux base.  I love having a substitute from always have to turn on the stove and cook up a roux.  It saved a step in the Beef Monterrey and I have learned to use this mixture for everything from gravy to soups!

GRAVY MIX
2 c. Starch*
3 c. Milk Powder
2 tsp Salt
1 Tbs Pepper
1 c. Butter Powder


I place all ingredients into a half gallon container and then put the lid on and shake to mix the ingredients. 
Allow the dust to settle and then use.

Mix 1 c. mix with 1-3 cups water for everything from gravy to creamy soup base.
Use alone as a White Sauce or flavor with cheese powder, bouillons or spices for desired flavors.


* I have used Ultra Gel and it works fine, but my preference is to use Instant Clear Jel since it will thicken with either hot or cold water.

No comments:

Post a Comment